Information on the ferry services in Salcombe Harbour and Kingsbridge Estuary, including times and dates of operation, are available via this page.
About the ferry services
There are four ferry services operating in the Salcombe and Kingsbridge Estuary. They connect Salcombe with:
- East Portlemouth
- South Sands
All of the ferries take foot passengers only and are privately operated.
EAST PORTLEMOUTH: all year round
- Runs between Salcombe and East Portlemouth, providing a foot passenger link for the South West Coast Footpath and access to the white sandy beaches of East Portlemouth.
- From 1 April until 31 October the ferry operates between Jubilee Pier Salcombe and the Ferry slip East Portlemouth.
- On the hour and half hour when quiet and continuously when busy from 0800 to 1830
- From 1 November until 31 March the ferry runs from Whitestrand Pontoon on the hour and half hour.
KINGSBRIDGE: May to September
- The Kingsbridge Ferry connects Salcombe with the Market town of Kingsbridge.
- This ferry runs from the Jubilee Pier Salcombe to Steamer Steps Kingsbridge.
- The timetable changes daily as this service is tidally constrained.
- More information is available from the Kingsbridge Tourist Information Office.
SOUTH SANDS: Easter to end October
- The South Sands Ferry connects Salcombe to South Sands Beach, from where there is easy access to National Trust Overbecks and the beaches and hotels at South Sands
- The service runs from Whitestrand at quarter to and quarter past the hour
- It returns from South Sands on the hour and half hour.
DARTMOUTH: Mid May to Mid-September
- The Dartmouth Ferry is more of a coastal cruise and runs from Dartmouth to Whitestrand Salcombe on Mondays and Wednesdays only
- It leaves Dartmouth at 1015 and arrives at noon, departing Salcombe at 1345, arriving back at Dartmouth at 1700
- This service only operates when the sea state is calm
- For further information go to the Dartmouth Steam Railway and Riverboat Company website.